Who We Are & What We Do
Voices of Gotham (VoG) is a not-for-profit men's chorus whose mission is to celebrate, promote, and preserve the rich American tradition of barbershop harmony. Formed in 2008, VoG is proud to be the Hell's Kitchen, New York Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS).
Since the chorus' founding in 2008, VoG has rapidly distinguished itself as one of the country's leading incubators of both new barbershop music, and of young musical artists who will shape the continuing evolution and excellence of the barbershop tradition. VoG is ranked by the BHS as one of the top ten barbershop choruses worldwide. With over 85 members and growing, VoG is a dues-paying organization that includes high school and college students, professional actors and musicians, and men of all walks of life who simply enjoy raising their voices in song.
In addition to weekly chorus rehearsals, VoG's programs include:
- Partnership with Sirens of Gotham women’s barbershop chorus, the NYC chapter of Sweet Adelines International
- The Barbershop Harmony Society Competition Circuit – Two to three regional and international chorus, quartet, and collegiate quartet contests per calendar year
- Voices of Gotham's Annual Performance Series – Two self-produced concerts yearly, along with a brisk schedule of commissioned quartet, small group, and full chorus performances
- The Arrangers' Lab – VoG's resident collective of composers arranging choral music in the barbershop harmony style
- Education & Historical Preservation Programs that teach our members and audiences about barbershop legacy, pedagogy, and history, including our Annual Tin Pan Alley Novice Quartet Contest, and our NYC Parks Department Contest Revival Initiative
- Harmony with Heart, which provides free or deeply discounted concerts and workshops for underserved communities.
VoG's entire Executive Board and regular Support Staff consists of volunteers within the organization. Led by Rafi Hasib, President, our organizational chart is comprised of both artistic and administrative areas, including teams for:
- Operations and logistics
- Membership recruitment/retention
Our Artistic Staff is appointed annually by majority vote by the Executive Board and includes: