Voices of Gotham is seeking a front line Musical Director. Please send all application materials or questions to email@example.com.
The Musical Director is responsible to lead and develop the music and performance program of the chorus, in consultation with the Music and Performance Vice President, the chapter’s Board of Directors, and other music team members, in a way that is consistent with our mission and values.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Targeted Start Date: July 2018
Select candidates will be asked to lead a chorus rehearsal in a directorial capacity during April or May to gauge fit within the chorus culture.
The musical director’s musical knowledge, attitudes, and directorial skills greatly influence chorus growth and the quality of our musical program. He/She:
- Plans and executes all chorus rehearsals
- Directs all public performances of the chorus or delegates to an assistant director or other chorus members when necessary
- Develops short-, medium-, and long-term musical plans for the chorus in consultation with the Music and Performance Vice President
- Works with the Music and Performance Vice President in selecting all Music Committee members
- Attends all Music Committee meetings
- Supervises the activity of the Music Committee in their interactions with the chorus
- Helps determine the standard for membership in the performing chorus
- Participates in voice-placement and evaluation of new members
- Works with the Music and Performance Vice President to select outside coaches and choreographers
- As required, submits periodic musical director’s messages for publication
- Fosters development of aspiring director and arranger talent in the chorus at large
- Optionally, attends or participates in appropriate schools for chorus directors
- Prior choral directing experience or similar educational study
- Experience with barbershop art form either in a quartet or with a chorus preferred
- Strong understanding of vocal pedagogy and ability to demonstrate effectively to a larger group
- Detail-oriented and able to communicate artistic concepts—both musical and visual—effectively and consistently
- Strong desire and ability to advance the chorus competitively within the Mid-Atlantic District and the Barbershop Harmony Society
- Strong interest in increasing the chorus’s profile within the New York City artistic community and beyond
- Ability to fully engage our members to meet our high standards through positive reinforcement and constructive criticism
- Ability to curate the membership of the Music Committee, identifying and encouraging potential new members as necessary
- Attuned to conversational phrasing
- Understanding of the importance of visuals to an effective stage performance
- Ability to be a spokesperson for the chorus and represent the core values of the organization
- Ability to support membership growth and retention of current members to maintain a strong, thriving, vibrant, singing organization
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration for the above position:
- Cover letter and resume
- Two video examples of either performance or rehearsal, not to exceed fifteen minutes, submitted as unlisted YouTube or other private video links.
- Two references from previous musical experiences
- Optionally, any other relevant or supporting materials, such as published articles, musical writings, or letters of recommendation
For questions regarding the position, application materials, or selection process, please contact email@example.com.
Chairman, Director Search Committee, Voices of Gotham